Our client, Univar (NYSE: UNVR) has exclusively retained Evers Legal Search to source and screen candidates for this Senior Counsel position. Interested candidates should please email a resume to email@example.com. Univar is based in Downers Grove, IL. This is a fabulous position for individuals who wish to practice law differently and truly become a part of the business he/she serves:
Univar – It starts with great chemistry.
Univar is more than a distribution company – we’re a leading, global partner dedicated to improving quality of life for our customers through the products, expertise, and relationships that serve the world’s most essential industries. Founded in 1924, with global headquarters in Downers Grove, IL, Univar generated $8+ billion in sales in 2017 – securing the #1 market position in North America and the #2 market position in Europe.
Creating great chemistry is not just about the innovative products and services we safely deliver to customers around the world. It also takes people – people like you – and today, our worldwide team of more than 8,000 employees is helping build a company where the best people want to work. If you’re looking for an experience where your actions will make a positive difference every day, you’ve come to the right place.
The One Univar Legal Team
The Vision of Univar’s legal team is to prevent problems. Our lawyers think critically about their roles as business partners. We seek applicants who embrace process improvement and question prevailing professional norms.
We forge legal and non-legal resources into a cohesive and consistent team committed to Univar’s success through delivered effectiveness, relentless efficiency, disciplined rigor, seamless collaboration, customer focus, constant improvement, creative disruption and unyielding integrity.
Reporting to our Deputy General Counsel and supporting Univar’s U.S. business operations, our new Senior Counsel will be a generalist capable of providing legal support for a broad range of areas. This position will also coordinate external legal services to ensure cost-effective and efficient service delivery to the business. We are looking for someone who can ‘roll up their sleeves’, work in a fast-paced environment, provide quality legal advice through a pragmatic and realistic lens, and is solution-oriented. We value process improvement over answering “interesting” questions of law.
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements;
- Provide guidance and legal advice on the handling of customer and supplier claims and disputes;
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements;
- Provide assistance as needed in relation to acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and other strategic alliances;
- Provide support and advice to human resources personnel in relation to the handling of various employment-related issues;
- Provide support and advice in relation to regulatory compliance matters;
- Provide training to company personnel on substantive legal topics;
- Assist with various compliance investigations, as needed;
- Help with the creation and implementation of legal policies and protocols;
- A JD and license in good standing.
- 5 – 10 years of “generalist” practice experience, preferably a mix of law-firm experience and in-house experience.
- Non-legal business or other “real world” experience prior to law school favored.
- Experience in any or all of the following subject matter areas is not a pre-requisite for consideration, but will strengthen your candidacy: real estate, environmental, intellectual property, employment.
- Culture fit is an essential requirement. We will favor candidates who are not only open minded, but who embrace innovative approaches to the delivery of legal services.
- Effective verbal and written communication and presentation styles to interact with diverse audiences, including external customers, senior management, outside attorneys and business associates.
- Demonstrable skill in negotiating and understanding contract provisions and risk allocation.
- Ability to operate within a matrixed management environment.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic with the initiative to work independently.
- High level of integrity supported by sound judgement and ethics.
Univar is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
We offer comprehensive benefits to employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD and life insurance, 401k, generous vacation and sick leave and much more.